New York State Custody Laws
One of the best ways to learn about New York child custody laws is to contact a New York child custody attorney, such as Alatsas Law Firm. who primarily focuses on divorce and custody cases. The reason for this is that attorneys, who focus mainly on custody cases, tend to be more knowledgeable, about the law in custody cases, because this is what they specialize in.
Child custody cases are hard on both parents. When a parent thinks about losing a child, or not seeing their child as often as he would like, it can be a very frightening time. When a parent goes into a child custody case, it is important that he does as much research on child custody laws in his state as possible. The more informed a parent is about his state’s custody laws, the better chance he has, at receiving a custody situation he can agree with.
: What a Parent Should Know about Custody Laws
• Courts can make custody orders until a child reaches 18 years of age.
• NY State courts do not favor the mother over the father. They look at who is best fit to car for the child.
• In order to change a custody arrangement, the parent must prove that the original custody arrangement is no longer in the best interest of the child.
• In joint custody, major decisions about a child must be made by both parents; this includes but is not limited to education, health, and religion.
What courts take into consideration when determining custody.
• Which parent has been the primary caregiver up to this point.
• Past domestic violence in the household.
• The mental and physical health of both parents.
• Work schedules.
• The parents’ willingness to let the child have a relationship with the other parent.
• What the child wants may also be taken into consideration, depending on the child’s age.
Why it is best to Contact an Attorney
Laws surrounding custody are confusing at times, and learning which ones apply to you is not easy. Speaking to a New York child custody attorney matters, and is the best way for a parent to learn about NY State custody laws. The more a parent knows about NY State custody laws, the better chance he has at winning his case. For more information, Contact Alatsas Law Firm today.