Dating After Divorce: Tips For Parents
Divorce can be one of the most difficult and, often, disruptive events in life. If children are involved, they are often confused and frightened by all of the changes happening. Even if both parents have kept a stable relationship with the children, divorce disrupts the norm.
If you or someone you know is going through a divorce, contact experienced and sensible divorce lawyers in Brooklyn to protect your rights under the law. Below are a few tips to follow in order to try and make the transition smoother for everyone.
Dating After Divorce: 7 Tips for Survival
- Find Single Friends – adjusting from married life to single life won’t be easy, but going through this process with a good circle of friends can help ease the shift.
- Explaining is Relative – while talking about the separation with your children is important, keeping the child’s age in mind when explaining is just as essential.
- Delay Dating – former spouses aren’t the only ones that need time to heal after divorce. Waiting till you and the children have adjusted to the changes in your life and emotions surrounding the split have calmed is the best option for all.
- Tread Carefully When Introducing a New Partner – any new relationship should be exclusive for several months before introducing that person into the kids’ life, on neutral territory.
- Be Sensitive – children may have more trouble adjusting to one parent’s dating relationship than the other’s, and introducing a new person may bring up several emotions.
- Hold Off on Details – once dating does keep the recent divorce at bay until the relationship gets a little more serious so that the separation is put into context.
- Expect Pushback – while a new partner can join the family and relate with the kids fairly easily, sometimes this is not the case. It the latter occurs, it’s important to take your child’s concerns seriously and listen to them attentively.
Divorce Lawyers in Brooklyn: Legal Help in the Neighborhood
Dedicated and knowledgeable divorce lawyers in Brooklyn can help make sure that you are granted appropriate compensation after a divorce. Child support and alimony are often an integral part of one’s financial planning for the future. Divorce lawyers in Brooklyn can make this difficult transition easier by helping you get on your feet. It can be difficult to establish stability for the child or children involved after a separation or divorce. Moreover, a divorce touches all aspects of life from property to child custody, to finances. Because competence and detail is essential, contacting divorce lawyers in Brooklyn prior to making any decisions is vital. The attorneys at Alatsas Law Firm serve the Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, Manhattan and Long Island areas with years of family law experience. Call today (718)-233-2903 to schedule your initial consultation.