In some cases, you and your spouse may be able to work the sticky issues with or without a third party mediator. In doing so, you keep control over important matters like how your children will be raised, how the property will be divided, and what happens to the family home. More importantly, if you and your spouse can settle it in a civil manner you potentially save your children the embarrassment of an ugly divorce.
While working it out among yourselves is ideal, it isn’t always possible. If you are frustrated, upset, or emotionally charged, you should turn your divorce over to a New York divorce lawyer that has experience in the divorce court system. The following information covers when to hire this kind of lawyer and some of the benefits of doing so.
When to Hire a New York Divorce Lawyer
- Divorces that involve spousal abuse, child abuse, sexual abuse, or substance abuse almost always requires a lawyer. In these cases, lawyers are instrumental in taking steps to ensure your safety. In addition, your lawyer knows the legal steps to take to ensure the safety of your children as well.
- If you and your spouse have attempted to settle the divorce out of the court system with no success, it is time to see a New York divorce attorney.
- Divorces that involve vindictive or dishonest spouses usually requires a divorce attorney to protect your interests.
- If your spouse has an attorney, you should undoubtedly hire a lawyer as quickly as possible. In cases involving children or complex financial issues, hiring lawyer becomes an issue of gargantuan importance.
- If you have any questions or concerns, you can always schedule a consultation to discuss your options.
Benefits of Hiring a New York Divorce Lawyer
Your lawyer is your guide through the court system. More importantly, your lawyer has experience dealing with the various judges and has developed a relationship with them. Ultimately, they will make sure your time in court or with a judge go smoothly as possible.
- Divorce attorneys are fully abreast of the divorce law for the state as well as any changes that have been made.
- Divorce attorneys knows how and when to file motions and petitions with the court.
- Issues such as spousal support, property division, and child custody are regularly negotiated by a New York divorce lawyer.
If you are facing a legal challenge, let the dedicated Brooklyn family lawyers at Alatsas Law Firm help you. Contact or call us today at (718)-233-2903.