It is estimated that three-quarters of the more than 1.2 million Americans who undergo a divorce annually eventually marry again. Because most first marriages result in offspring, these subsequent marriages result in a life that is often more complicated than it was before. Multiple children’s schedules, disputes between step-siblings, problems with former partners, and adjusting to new spouses – some who have never dealt with childcare issues before – are all part of the blended family experience.
If you or someone you know is facing divorce, contact the most experienced divorce lawyers Brooklyn has to offer. While changes to the family’s internal structure will require an adjustment from all members, adapting to the new experience is possible especially with the following guidelines.
- Plan ahead – it is important for both sets of parents to lay the foundation for becoming a blended family. One of the best ways to do so is to take the new relationship slowly, allowing for everyone to get a chance to get used to one another as well as the idea of remarriage;
- Make time for bonding – during the early stages of becoming a blended family, it is important for stepparents and stepsiblings alike to develop positive relationships with one another. Because each child develops differently, parents will likely need to adjust depending on the children’s ages and genders;
- Cope with the differences – the merging of two distinct families is not an easy task; differences in approaches to discipline, parenting and lifestyles can bring frustration for everyone involved;
- Build strength through trust – the key to creating a unified blended family is establishing trust. Creating safe, clear boundaries for all will help the children adjust to the changes; and
- Maintain the current marriage – while there is no doubt that the newly married couple must focus a lot of the energy on the children, it is equally as important that time is taken to develop and nurture the union.
At the end of the day, the reality is that a blended family is just that – a family. Families are unpredictable, and blended ones are no different. The best manner with which the challenges a blended family can bring can be dealt is to understand that it is a process.
Divorce Lawyers Brooklyn
If you or someone you know is facing divorce, contact the most skilled divorce lawyers Brooklyn residents can rely on. Learn about your best options when it comes to divorce law. Divorce can be stressful and complicated. With years of family law experience, the attorneys at the offices of Alatsas Law Firm have guided clients during this difficult, yet important, time. Schedule an initial consultation by calling (718)-233-2903 today.