FREE CONSULTATION 718-233-2903 718-233-2903
Home / Practice Areas / Family Law

Filing a Case In a New York Family Law Court

Brooklyn family law attorneys are here to help

New York’s Family Court provides a way for litigants to address issues regarding issues of custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, orders of protection, guardianship, and grandparents’ rights.  Because the Family Court is generally staffed with personnel to assist parties when they wish to file most cases, litigants often go to Court to file paperwork without having first consulted with an attorney.

Prior to filing a case in Family Court, you should consider discussing your case with an experienced family law attorney.  In discussing your case, an experienced practitioner can guide you in the appropriate manner by which to commence your case.  While the Family Court can assist you in preparing your petition, an experienced family law practitioner can prepare the paperwork for you, and handle the filing, service, and prosecution of your case.  Moreover, an experienced family law practitioner can usually better weave through the maze of procedure and bureaucracy that exists in a large institution like the Family Court.

Whether you are anticipating the joys of adoption or experiencing the frustrations of marital conflict, Theodore Alatsas ESQ can help. I have served families in the Brooklyn area for 20 years. I provide legal services in all areas of family law, including:


Through mediation or litigation, my firm can help you gain the most equitable results from your divorce, including fair distribution of assets, division of marital home, child support payments, and child custody rights.


Divorce should not lead to financial crises. I help you establish an equitable amount of spousal support.

Child Support Modification and Enforcement

I can help ensure that you receive or pay an equitable amount of the financial support required to raise your children in a healthy, happy environment. Child support payments do not change unless the court modifies the child support order. If either the custodial or noncustodial parent experiences a significant change in circumstances, I can guide you through the proper legal procedures to modify your child support payments accordingly.


Mediation puts the decisions in your hands, and can often provide more expedient, predictable results than a trial. I can help you obtain the most equitable divorce settlement.

Child Custody and Visitation

I protect your parental rights to raise your children in an appropriate and supportive home.


I assist families with all aspects of international and domestic adoptions. I handle the legalities of your adoption so that you can concentrate on your new family.

Pre- and Post-Nuptial Agreements

I expect the unexpected and draft premarital agreements that protect both spouses’ interests and that can alleviate some of the stress should you ever divorce.

All Other Family Law Services:

Juvenile Delinquency and Dependency Proceedings

I am skilled at maneuvering through the complex laws of New York to protect your parental rights from the interference of government authorities.

Contact a Dedicated Brooklyn Family Law Attorney

Call Theodore Alatsas ESQ at 718-233-2903 or contact me online to schedule a consultation with a family law attorney at my Brooklyn, New York office.